Making the Decision to Retire Simple
Making the decision to retire can be daunting—we understand. At Westminster Canterbury - Lynchburg, our goal is to make the switch to retirement as seamless and peaceful as possible. Read through a few of our frequently asked questions below.
How do I become a resident?
Once you select your residence, a deposit equal to 10% of the entrance fee reserves your new home. At that time, you will be asked to provide financial and health related information. Following a residency review, your move-in date can be confirmed. The balance of your entry fee is due upon move-in.
Why do people choose Westminster Canterbury Lynchburg?
Westminster Canterbury offers an ideal place to live. Residents enjoy charming, comfortable homes in a desirable neighborhood—a convenient locale surrounded by Blue Ridge Mountain beauty—gracious hospitality, service in a welcoming community, and the assurance of lifelong, quality health services if ever needed.
Who owns and manages Westminster Canterbury?
Westminster Canterbury is affiliated with and guided by the high standards of the Episcopal and Presbyterian churches. It is owned by a non-profit, non-stock membership corporation and governed by a non-compensated Board of Trustees. Composed of community leaders, the Board is approved by the Episcopal Diocese of Southwestern Virginia and the Synod of the Mid-Atlantic Presbyterian Church.
Westminster Canterbury is an interfaith community and open to all. Residents and visitors are welcome without regard to religious preference. Westminster Canterbury’s management team has demonstrated outstanding skills and dedication, serving resident members with courtesy and commitment.
What is a Life Plan Community with LifeCare?
A Life Plan community such as Westminster Canterbury provides financial security, value, flexibility and peace of mind for you and your family.
This community enables you to live in a private residence, with the assurance that health services are available through every stage of life if ever needed. Our LifeCare Plan means you will pay for your assisted living and health care services based on your independent living residence’s monthly fee rather than the actual cost of care. Your assets are protected from catastrophic health care costs. All residents have access to on-site wellness programs, preventive care, 24-hour emergency response, assisted living, memory support and skilled nursing.
Is Westminster Canterbury an accredited community?
Yes. Westminster Canterbury is nationally accredited by the Continuing Care Accreditation Commission (CARF) and has successfully achieved CARF certification since the community’s inception. This accreditation demonstrates our commitment to meeting national standards of excellence and ensures the comfort and peace of mind of all residents. The Virginia Department of Social Services and the Virginia Department of Health also license and oversee the regulatory compliance of our healthcare services.
Do residents turn over all of their assets to Westminster Canterbury?
Of course not. Westminster Canterbury has never had such a policy. In fact, different entrance fee plans and refund options are available so you can select a plan that best fits your personal and financial goals.
What types of residences are available?
Westminster Canterbury offers apartments in a variety of sizes and floor plans, ranging from an intimate studio to a spacious residence with two bedrooms, two baths and a den. Two-bedroom cottage homes with attached carports or garages are also available.
May I personalize my home to suit my preferences?
Yes. Residents take pride in furnishing and decorating their new homes to reflect their tastes. Westminster Canterbury also offers a nice selection of custom upgrades. With approval of management and for an additional charge, you can add special features such as built-in storage or other individual selections to customize your home.
What kinds of fees do residents pay?
Residents pay a one-time entrance fee and begin paying a monthly fee upon moving to the community.
The entrance fee provides lifetime residency, use of the community's common areas, availability of on-campus services and amenities, and options that cover some or all of the healthcare services. Entrance fees vary depending on the type of residence, healthcare plan and refund option selected. These options include but are not limited to:
- Unlimited LifeCare Plan: This most extensive option provides future unlimited assisted living and healthcare accommodations based on the monthly fee of your independent living residence.
- Limited LifeCare Plan: This option offers residents 365 lifetime days of assisted living and healthcare accommodations based on the monthly fee of your independent living residence.
- Fee-for-Service Plan: This option provides assisted living and healthcare services at the per diem rate less 15 percent. Independent living entry fees and monthly services fees are significantly reduced if this plan is selected.
What is included in the monthly fee?
The monthly fee entitles residents of Westminster Canterbury to the following services and programs:
- A flexible dining account for each resident
- Full maintenance of residences, appliances and common areas
- Landscaping and groundskeeping
- All utilities except long-distance telephone charges
- Cable television service (premium channels are extra)
- 24-hour security staff, urgent response system, smoke detectors and sprinkler system
- Weekly housekeeping
- Laundry facilities
- Transportation for shopping
- Social, recreational, spiritual, educational and cultural activities plus other special interest programs
- On-site wellness programs and preventive care
- Home delivery of meals in the event of illness
- Registered Dietitian consultation
- Assisted living and nursing based on the monthly fee of your independent living residence when a LifeCare plan is chosen
The monthly fee varies according to the size of the residence. An additional monthly fee is charged for a second person occupying the residence.
Is the monthly fee fixed, or is it subject to change?
Monthly fees are reviewed annually and may be adjusted based on actual operating expenses. Costs are carefully managed, and fees reflect the lowest feasible rate to maintain sound financial practices and the high quality of our services. A 30-day written notice is provided to all residents in advance of any adjustment to the monthly fee.
What are the refund options?
Three refund options are available:
- Basic Refund Option: The refund will decline at 2% per month for each month of residency through the first 50 months. In the event you voluntarily terminate your Residence and Services Agreement during your first year of residency at Westminster Canterbury, you will receive a full refund of the entrance fee.
- 50% Refund Option: The refund declines at a rate of 2% per month for 25 months. From that point on, a 50% refund is guaranteed once the agreement is terminated and the residence is resold. With this option, a 34% premium is added to the basic entrance fee.
- 90% Refund Option: The refund declines at a rate of 2% per month for 5 months. From that point on, a 90% refund is guaranteed once the residence is resold. With this option, a 90% premium is added to the basic entrance fee.
Are any of the fees considered tax deductible?
Yes, a significant portion of the entrance fee is recognized as a pre-paid healthcare expense. A similar portion of the monthly fee is also deductible as a medical expense.
What kinds of amenities and common areas are available for residents?
Westminster Canterbury provides a wide variety of programs, activities and social opportunities:
- Choice of several dining venues, plus a private dining room for private parties
- Templeton Wellness Center with heated indoor salt water pool, fitness area, exercise equipment, hot tub, locker rooms and certified wellness staff
- Computer lab with high-speed Internet access, copier, printer and shredder
- Woodworking shop
- Artists’ studio
- Craft/hobby workshop
- Billiards room
- Nature Trail
- Rooftop terrace
- Private garden areas/greenhouse
- Beauty/Barber salon
- Strickler Library
- Weissert Memorial Chapel
- Full-service branch bank and ATM
- Pet friendly campus
- Guest accommodations
Are other services and amenities available?
Yes. Services and programs available for an additional cost include expanded dining account, transportation to specific destinations, salon services, catering for parties, concierge services and more.
What healthcare services are available?
Westminster Canterbury is committed to helping residents maintain good health and to meeting a wide range of healthcare needs. Our healthcare services are surveyed and inspected annually, and have received high marks consistently under guidelines established by Medicare and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Templeton Wellness Center opportunities include exercise classes, strength and cardiovascular training, yoga, wellness programs, seminars on diet, nutrition and other health-related topics.
- Outpatient Services in our Resident Clinic include routine and preventive care, foot care and limited dental services. There is no obligation to use the clinic. You are free to engage the services of a physician of your choice.
- Emergency Services include 24-hour urgent response by health professionals of Westminster Canterbury.
- Assisted Living Services provide assistance with activities of daily living—bathing, dressing, medication monitoring, etc.
- Healthcare Nursing Services are provided by qualified, licensed and certified professionals on a 24-hour basis. The new Drinkard Heathcare Center supports residents requiring long-term nursing care in spacious neighborhoods infused with natural light.
- Our Rehab Center is an appropriate setting for individuals who are recovering from surgery or illness and require concentrated rehabilitation and nursing services.
- The Memory Support Neighborhood provides resident-focused, activity-based care in a secure 14-room residence. Dedicated to providing distinctive programming— in an innovative, progressive approach to dementia care—the neighborhood is designed to enhance quality of life and help maintain cognitive abilities for as long as possible.
- Home Health and Hospice Services are available through our Senior Independence agency.
What is Person Directed Living?
Our Person Directed Living philosophy is rooted in the belief that individuals need to live in well-being. “Well-Being” reflects the need for Relationships, Being Well Known in a Community, Choice and Control, and Meaningful Engagement. We seek to engage residents in these essential aspects of daily life. Westminster Canterbury strives to be a community of excellence that enriches, empowers and engages the lives of residents, their families and staff members.
What is a household model?
A resident household in the Drinkard Healthcare Center includes 21 private rooms and shared common living areas that include a kitchen, dining room and a spacious living room. Care Partners, i.e. nurses, certified nurse aids, dining and environmental team members, work together to meet and maintain the needs of the residents and their home.
Is there a Residents’ Association?
Yes, and all residents are voting members. The Residents’ Council, the association’s executive body, is composed of nine residents and meets monthly. The council is an active, integral part of the community and is instrumental in interacting with management on many facets of campus life. Meeting minutes are distributed to all residents. The chairman of the Residents’ Council and two additional residents serve as representatives on the Board of Trustees.
Is there a Chaplaincy Program?
Yes. Spiritual well-being and enrichment, while an individual choice, are vitally important at Westminster Canterbury. Committed to the principles of Christian values, the community has an active Chaplaincy Program. Our chaplain, visiting pastors and volunteers are a source of leadership and inspiration as they hold services, provide counseling and lead Bible study groups throughout the community.
Is there a wait list for residency?
Our wait list is called the Canterbury Club. The wait list deposit is $1,300 and will be credited in full toward your Entrance Fee at the time you select your residence. Canterbury Club members are welcome to use the Templeton Wellness Center, attend enrichment programs and opportunities provided Westminster Canterbury residents, as well as enjoy meals in our three dining venues.
What is my next step if I’d like to learn more?
Your next step is to schedule a visit! Tour our community, sample our cuisine, meet some of the residents and find out all you need to know about Westminster Canterbury.